Aequor is a “C” corporation established in Delaware and California.
11575 Sorrento Valley Road, Ste 215
San Diego, CA 92121
phone: +1 858-255-7854
MARILYN BRUNO, PH.D., J.D.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
CYNTHIA BURZELL, PH.D.
FOUNDER, CHIEF SCIENTIFIC OFFICER
Aequor Ltd. is a subsidiary located at 72 Great Suffolk St, London, SE1 0BL, United Kingdom.
The Name Aequor – means “the Sea”
Science: Aequor discovered in the ocean non-toxic, “green,” eco-friendly, and sustainable chemicals and developed a portfolio of synthesized analogs that mimic them.
“Green,” non-toxic chemicals, dispersants, and cleaning agents show superior long lasting performance. They can be used to replace toxic biocides used in consumer and agro-industrial products.
A subset of Aequor’s chemicals in development kill antimicrobial-resistant (AMR) Superbugs – for which there is no other cure. The antibiofilm treatments prevent the ability of bacteria and fungi to form biofilm – the root cause of contamination, fouling and infection – and also remove existing biofilm rapidly, within minutes.
- Green, non-toxic chemicals additives and formulated products available for immediate sale
- Dispersants, wetting agents, surfactants
- Water treatments
- Surface cleaners
- Laundry detergents
- Additives that boost algae and yeast biomass productivity up to 40%
- Paints and coatings
- Natural surfactants (in development)
- Antibiofilm treatments (in development)
- Medical device coatings and materials (in development)
- New drug candidates that kill antimicrobial resistant (AMR) pathogens; potentiators for ineffective antibiotics (in development)
- Green product formulation
- Biofilm, microbiology, and stability testing
- Services in the field of veterinary medicine – we work with your team to resolve problems and provide solutions relating to skin hygiene, odor, and prevent future infections in animals.
- Services in the field of agriculture – we work with your team to resolve problems and provide solutions relating to the prevention and treatment of contamination associated with the cultivation of plants, animals, yeast, algae, bacteria, fungi, and aquatic organisms in fresh and salt water environments.
- Services in the field of aquaculture – we work with your team to resolve problems and provide solutions relating to the prevention and treatment of contamination associated with the cultivation of fish, crustaceans, bi-valves, algae, and other aquatic plants and animals in farms, tanks, bioreactors.
- Services in the field of mariculture – we work with your team to resolve problems and provide solutions relating to the prevention and treatment of contamination associated with the cultivation of fish, crustaceans, bi-valves, algae, and other aquatic plants and animals in netted areas or in tanks, ponds, or raceways which are filled with sea water.
- Consulting: programs, methods and techniques for companies to “go green” and save energy
- Educational training on biofilm, biofouling, biofilm testing methodologies, and related fields. These sessions are offered to individuals, corporations, and groups.
- Custom chemical synthesis
Aequor’s COVID-19 Response:
- Products: Superior cleaning products – long lasting, kills antimicrobial resistant (AMR) Superbugs (in development)
- Services: Microbial testing,training in enhanced sanitation protocols
How to Order Products and Services: Please contact us for pricing, quantities and delivery schedules for our products and services by e-mailing us at email@example.com. Discounts available for bulk orders.
Aequor’s Mission: To replace toxic biocides with “green” alternatives that replace toxins used in consumer and agro-industrial products and advance the UN’s One Health Goals to control pandemic threats at the 3 vectors of transmission: environment, animals and humans.
How to Invest: Join 4 angels who helped us raise $1.2 M and win $8M in grants/awards. Contact us for our due diligence package for our Series A Round at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Partner with us: Contact us so we can set up a work plan to develop:
- Skin care; OTC wound care
- Paints, coatings, materials
- Medical device coating and materials
- Cleaners for critical clinical surfaces
- New drug candidates that kill antimicrobial resistant (AMR) pathogens; potentiators for ineffective antibiotics
Aequor Updates and News
- January 1, 2020 – The Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA) awarded Aequor a third TechWatch to identify opportunities for scale-up of new drug candidates.
- February 1, 2020 – Aequor was selected to join the four-month IndieBio accelerator in San Francisco.
- February-May, 2020 – Aequor was selected for the 12-week Plug and Play accelerator program in Silicon Valley in the New Materials and Packaging section. In addition to excellent virtual networking programs, we have initiated pilot projects with several of them to replace toxic biocides in materials and product formulations with Aequor’s “green,” non-toxic alternatives.
- February 10, 2020 – Cynthia Burzell was selected for the Global Health Security Network’s 9-month mentoring program and will be developing a prototype project on effective anti-COVID/Superbug environmental sanitation products and protocols for high-traffic public places, schools, etc. for implementation in the developing world.
- April 22, 2020 – Aequor was featured in the Biotechnology Innovation Organization (BIO)’s daily newsletter, GoodDay BIO (circulation 30,000) regarding our offer to send our superior “green” surface sanitizers to China for use in hospitals, public spaces and households.
- May 01, 2020 – Aequor was a finalist in a project for microalgae cultivation in urban areas in Singapore
- May 28, 2020 – Aequor won San Diego CONNECT’s Cool Company award, and will virtually be matched with VCs for closing out our Series Seed and opening up our Series A.
- May 28, 2020 – Marilyn Bruno is cited as a thought Leader by Leading Edge Only
- September 8-11, 2020 – Cynthia Burzell will be a panelist on the 2020 Algae Biomass Summit, which will be held virtually, speaking about the treatments she developed to boost algae by over 40% in half the time
- July 23, 2020 – Aequor featured in Biofuels Digest – Major Stories: Click to read article.
- A major international airport selected Aequor to participate in its 4-month Innovation program which will begin when full flight operations resume. Aequor proposed developing enhanced cleaners for high-touch surfaces in airports and airplane cabins.
- Aequor’s patent as granted on the methods of use of natural chemicals found in the ocean.
- Aequor filed a provisional patent on industrial applications.
- January 29-31, 2019 – Dr. Bruno pitched Aequor at the Corporate Venturing and Innovation Summit – Monterey, CA – https://10times.com/global-corporate-venturing-and-innovation-summit-h
- April 23, 2019 – Dr. Bruno pitched Aequor at the Chemical Ventures Conference – Wilmington, Delaware – https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=chemical+venture+summit+delaware+2019
- Aequor won these pitch opportunities in a competition organized by the National Center of Entrepreneurial Technology Transfer (NCET2) – https://www.aiche.org/conferences/chemical-ventures-conference/2019
- April 30, 2019 – Dr. Bruno exhibited Aequor at the San Diego Venture Group – Extra Cool Company awardee – San Diego, CA – https://members.sdvg.org/event-3233540
- June 4, 2019 – Dr. Bruno represented Aequor at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES) – The Hague. The U.S. State Department invited Aequor to represent American innovation. – https://www.ges2019.org/ This resulted in Dutch TV interviews, articles in European newspapers, meeting the Queen of the Netherlands, Mike Pompeo and Yvanka Trump, etc. NASA had put our nomination forward.
- June 6, 2019 – Dr. Burzell – spoke on small business challenges at the Clinical Trial Supply Conference – San Diego – http://www.arena-international.com/ctssoca
- June 18, 2019 – Dr. Bruno – exhibited and pitched at the San Diego Entrepreneurs Exchange (SDEE) Angel Investor Education Panel in San Diego. https://www.sdentrepreneurs.org/calendar
- July 10, 2019 – Dr. Burzell’s paper describing the use of Aequor chemicals to solve the biofilm problem in the water recycling/reuse system used on board the International Space Station was presented by NASA at the International Conference on Environmental Systems (ICES) – Boston, MA – https://www.ices.space/
- July 10, 2019 – Dr. Bruno- organized and participated on a panel on Aequor’s chemicals that boost algae and yeast biomass at the BIO World Conference on Industrial Biotech (WCIB) – Des Moines, Iowa – https://bioworldcongress19sessioncatalog.azurewebsites.net/SessionDetail.aspx?id=515560
- July 18, 2019 – Dr. Burzell – participated in an interactive workshop with her colleagues at NASA regarding the problems of biofilm in Space at Montana State University Center for Biofilm Engineering. – Bozeman, Montana. http://spaceref.com/news/viewsr.html?pid=52584.
- July 26, 2019 — Dr. Burzell – interview with the Economic Times of India (circulation 800,000) – https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/international-business/green-shoots-for-a-greener-tomorrow/articleshow/70391255.cms
- August 15, 2019 – Dr. Bruno – was interviewed by a reporter from German Public Radio – Norddeutscher Rundfunk (NDR) because Aequor was a signatory of the Declaration on Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) presented at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland in January 2017. The information was developed into radio and video content regarding obstacles to the development of new anti-infective drugs. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/08/12/749366768/to-find-the-next-antibiotic-scientists-give-old-drugs-a-new-purpose
- August 25, 2019 – Dr. Bruno presented at the Chemical Angel Network’s event at the American Chemical Society (ACS) Conference – San Diego -https://visitsandiego.com/event/august-25-2019-1200am/acs-fall-2019-national-meeting-exposition.
- September 14, 2019 – Dr. Bruno attended the Women’s Venture Summit and gave an interview on AMR – San Diego – https://www.womensventuresummit.org/.
- September 17, 2019 – Dr. Bruno attended the inauguration of the University of San Diego at San Diego’s Collaboration to Halt AMR (CHARM) – https://twitter.com/CHARM_UCSD – CHARM is organized by Dr. Victor Nizet, a member of Aequor’s Scientific Advisory Board who has offered Aequor joint grant applications.
- The Centers for Disease Control listed Aequor as one of the stakeholders committed to finding remedies for AntiMicrobial Resistance (AMR) – https://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/intl-activities/amr-challenge.html
- September 25, 2019 – Drs. Burzell and Bruno have a one-on-one meeting with BARDA Director Rick Bright, who arranged for Aequor to schedule a TechWatch with his team. BARDA administers $2.7 billion in funding to find remedies to combat AMR.
- Aequor’s profile added to the One Health Commission’s Who’s Who of One Health, the United Nations’ initiative to break down the silos between environmental, animal and human health. Aequor’s products are effective on all three counts, with remedies against the antimicrobial resistant (AMR) pathogens (the Superbugs) wherever they are found – https://www.onehealthcommission.org/documents/filelibrary/resources/whos_who/72119_Aequor_Whos_Who_Template_9C0143DA4C968.pdf
- October 16, 2019 – Dr. Bruno – panelist at the Outsourced Pharma Conference. https://www.outsourcedpharmaevents.com/
- October 31, 2019 – Dr. Bruno – panelist at the Advanced Bioeconomy Leadership Conference (ABLC Next) in San Francisco – http://biofuelsdigest.com/ablcnext/
- November 6, 2019 – Dr Burzell pitched at San Diego Innovation Showcase in the Cleantech Track: https://www.sandiegoinnovationcouncil.org/showcase-2019/
- November 17, 2019 – Aequor featured in Biofuels Digest for its boosting of algae and yeast biomass – https://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2019/11/13/40-biomass-boost-for-bioethanol-the-digests-2019-multi-slide-guide-to-aequors-green-chemistry/
- December 10, 2019 – Aequor was selected out of 500 applicants for Plug and Play Spring 2020 competition – https://www.plugandplaytechcenter.com/
- December 19, 2019 – Aequor won Department of Energy (DOE) Phase Zero grant to work with Dawnbreaker coaches for presenting Phase I grants as they become available in the renewable energy sector – https://www.dawnbreaker.com/doephase0/.
- Aequor was a nominee for the 50 Hottest Companies in the Bioeconomy: http://survey.constantcontact.com/survey/a07egrk4y2ek3nrl2p7/a02aj5k3s2pt1q/questions?continue=Continue+
- December 27, 2019 – Aequor named on the ad hoc committed to support One Health and procured the passage of U.S. Senate Resolution 462 naming January 2020 One Health Awareness Month -https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sz8RqOOAwb5JIRNBxG8eVH7U9juLorodeegd90KGzIU/edit#gid=0
- Patents publish- composition of matter and methods of use patent on >30 novel molecules and new methods of use patent on >40 existing structural analogues.
- The Executive Director of the “One Health” commission (www.onehealthcommission.org) asked Aequor to help coordinate events to publicize and organize events for One Health Day on November 3, 2017. “One Health” was first coined by the United Nations’ World Health Organization, World Organization for Animal Health, and Food and Agriculture Organization under a tripartite agreement to develop a strategic framework to address the animal-human-ecosystem interface leading to potential or existing global health risks.
- One of NASA’s Space Flight Centers expanded testing several Aequor molecules in the water recycling system used on the International Space Station.
- The Department of Energy’s Bioenergy Technologies Office (DOE/BETO) awarded funding for the Advanced Biofuels Process Demonstration Unit (ABPDU) at the DOE Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBL) to test selected Aequor molecules in algae/biofuel production facilities.
- USDA validated the efficacy of Aequor’s molecules against Gram-negative bacteria (Pseudomonas aeruginosa, E. coli) and fungi (Aspergillus brasiliensis), and undertook testing that showed no resistance response triggered.
- Bruno – panelist at the One Health Day panel presentation at Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLabs San Diego in November 2017
- Bruno presented at Drugging the Undruggable: How do we put next generation targets within our reach? in November 2017
- Bruno presented Aequor at the BIO Investor Forum in San Francisco in October 2017
- Bruno presented at the Outsourced Pharma Convention in San Francisco in October 2017
- Burzell presented at EU Pharmaceutical Microbiology West Coast in San Diego in June 2017
- Dr. Burzell lectured on remedies for biofilm contamination in clean rooms at a conference on Pharmaceutical Microbiology in June 2017
- Dr. Burzell was a panelist at a BIO International Convention session on new remedies against antimicrobial resistant (AMR) pathogens in June 2017
- Aequor presented at the Green Chemistry in Commerce (GC3) Biobased and Green Chemistry Network event in San Francisco
- A major “green” consumer product company is testing Aequor molecules in a new household cleaner.
- Dr. Bruno presented at the Space Symposium in Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Aequor won the national NASA iTech competition in the category of Life Support on December 8, 2016 – https://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/feature/nasa-itech-forum-showcases-innovators-top-technology-solutions-for-future-space-exploration
- The National Institutes for Health’s National Institute for Infectious Diseases (NIH/NIAID) selected Aequor for an accelerator program to conduct pre-clinical trials (toxicology testing in animal models) and performance testing of 4 novel molecules against target pathogens.
- The Department of Defense’s Army Medical Institute for Infectious Diseases (DOD/AMRIID) selected Aequor for an accelerator program for pre-clinical trials and performance testing of 5 novel molecules against biothreats.
- Aequor’s UK subsidiary, Aequor Ltd., won an EU Horizon 2020 Phase I grant in the BioMed category – http://www.fabiodisconzi.com/open-h2020/per-coordinator/uk/aequor+ltd/index.html
- Dr. Bruno invited to speak at the UN General Assembly High Level Meetings on Antimicrobial Resistance, New York City
2016 Presentations, Lectures:
- American Society of Microbiology conference on BioDefense in Arlington VA
- World Aquaculture Society Conference in Las Vegas
- Aequor moderated a panel at the BIO World Congress for Industrial Biotechnology in San Diego; Dr. Burzell presented antifouling technologies.
- BIO International Conference, San Francisco, CA
- InterFerry Conference on antifouling in Manila.