Aequor Updates and News
- The Executive Director of the “One Health” commission (www.onehealthcommission.org) asked Aequor to help coordinate events to publicize and organize events for One Health Day on November 3, 2017. “One Health” was first coined by the United Nations’ World Health Organization, World Organization for Animal Health, and Food and Agriculture Organization under a tripartite agreement to develop a strategic framework to address the animal-human-ecosystem interface leading to potential or existing global health risks.
- Aequor filed a composition of matter and methods of use patent on >30 novel molecules that it developed, as well as new methods of use patent on >40 existing structural analogues.
- One of NASA’s Space Flight Centers started testing several Aequor molecules in the water recycling system used on the International Space Station.
- The Department of Energy’s Bioenergy Technologies Office (DOE/BETO) awarded funding for a national lab to test selected Aequor molecules in algae/biofuel production facilities – http://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2017/08/15/partner-power-in-process-piloting-the-digests-2017-multi-slide-guide-to-the-advanced-biofuels-process-demonstration-unit/ – https://energy.gov/eere/bioenergy/bioenergy-technologies-office-funding-opportunities
- Dr. Burzell lectured on remedies for biofilm contamination in clean rooms at a conference on Pharmaceutical Microbiology in June 2017 – https://www.smi-online.co.uk/pharmaceuticals/northamerica/conference/Microbiology-USA
- Dr. Burzell was a panelist at a BIO International Convention session on new remedies against antimicrobial resistant (AMR) pathogens in June 2017 – https://mybio.org/profile/member/1122051
- Aequor presented at the Green Chemistry in Commerce (GC3) Biobased and Green Chemistry Network event in San Francisco: http://www.greenchemistryandcommerce.org/startup-network/
- A major “green” consumer product company is testing Aequor molecules in a new household cleaner.
- USDA validated the efficacy of Aequor’s molecules against Gram-negative bacteria (Pseudomonas aeruginosa, E.coli) and fungi (Aspergillus brasiliensis), and undertook testing that showed no resistance response triggered.
- Dr. Bruno presented at the Space Symposium in Colorado Springs, Colorado – https://www.spacesymposium.org/speakers/marilyn-j-bruno-phd-jd
- Aequor won the national NASA iTech competition in the category of Life Support in December 8, 2016 (https://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/feature/nasa-itech-forum-showcases-innovators-top-technology-solutions-for-future-space-exploration)
- The National Institutes for Health’s National Institute for Infectious Diseases (NIH/NIAID) selected Aequor for an accelerator program to conduct pre-clinical trials (toxicology testing in animal models) and performance testing of 4 novel molecules against target pathogens.
- The Department of Defense’s Army Medical Institute for Infectious Diseases (DOD/AMRIID) selected Aequor for an accelerator program for pre-clinical trials and performance testing of 5 novel molecules against biothreats.
- Aequor’s UK subsidiary, Aequor Ltd., won a EU Horizon 2020 Phase I grant in the BioMed category – http://www.fabiodisconzi.com/open-h2020/per-coordinator/uk/aequor+ltd/index.html
2016 Presentations, Lectures:
- American Society of Microbiology conference on BioDefense in Arlington VA
- World Aquaculture Society Conference in Las Vegas
- Aequor moderated a panel at the BIO World Congress for Industrial Biotechnology in San Diego; Dr. Burzell presented antifouling technologies.
- BIO International Conference, San Francisco, CA
- UN General Assembly High Level Meetings on Antimicrobial Resistance, New York City
- InterFerry Conference on antifouling in Manila.